Welfare at Oxford

Moving to university can be difficult and stressful, particularly if you have existing mental or physical health conditions. But you're certainly not on your own and support is available.


Oxford has a wide range of welfare support available, most of which can be found here πŸ”— 🌟. This page has links to:

  • Information about support for disabled students and the Disability Advisory Service
  • Counselling and mental health
  • Sexual harassment and violence support service
  • Peer Support
  • Harassment and conflict
  • Health
  • Emergencies
  • Advice for parents who are concerned about the wellbeing of their child
  • Further support available for care leavers, estranged students, and student parents

Sexual Harassment

The Sexual Harassment and Violence Support Service πŸ”— 🌟 provides free emotional and practical support and advice for any student affected by sexual harassment or violence. It is confidential, and independent of colleges and departments, and covers recent or past experiences, in Oxford or elsewhere. They can take formal disclosures (meaning individuals don’t have to recount their stories again). They also have an independent sexual violence advisor (ISVA), specialising in related aspects of the criminal justice system who is employed by Oxfordshire Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre (OSARCC) πŸ”— and seconded to the university. The ISVA is therefore completely independent from the University, but works exclusively to support students.

There are also campaigns like It Happens Here πŸ”—, which is an anti-sexual violence campaign associated with Oxford SU.

Mental Health

Oxfordshire Safe Haven πŸ”— 🌟 is a non-clinical safe space for support through a mental health crisis 7 days a week 11.30am – 9.30 pm, 01865 903 037

Students' Union

The Student Advice Service πŸ”— is an independent advice and information service available to Oxford University Students.

College-level support

Individual colleges have information about welfare support available, for example here are University College’s πŸ”— and Queen’s πŸ”— webpages. Colleges may have their own counsellor or close contact with a local GP surgery.

Did you spot a typo or formatting issue? Let us know by emailing us at [email protected].